Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Killing Bugs

Sometimes Caitlin is afraid of spiders. It doesn't happen too frequently, but last night she was terrified. I have to admit that spiders give me the creeps, but I am still willing to kill them. Caitlin couldn't get close to this one that was in our room last night.

She kept squealing and jumping on the bed to make sure it wouldn't touch her. I asked her to grab a shoe and pretend like she was killing it, but that was the closest she would get. Don't worry though, I killed it for her. :) 

And my reputation as an insect killer must've gotten out because one of the girls that works for the endodontist next door came into our office this morning to see if I could kill a bug for her. She described it as a spider/centipede. I was a little skeptical, and we couldn't find it in the few minutes we spent searching her office, so I told her I would come back if it made an appearance again. Well it did, and I'm proud to say that I squashed that little bugger more than necessary. It was a house centipede, which is one of the creepiest looking things I've ever seen (see below). It was at least 2.5 inches long and it moved super fast. I can feel a million bugs crawling up my legs as I write about this too. This thing was freaky. I would much rather have a spider in my room than a nasty house centipede. 

Don't worry, Wikepedia told me all about the interaction these creepy crawlies have with humans, "Unlike its shorter-legged but much larger tropical cousins, Scutigera coleoptrata can live its entire life inside a building, usually the ground levels of homes. They are generally considered harmless to humans. Bites (stings) are extremely uncommon, and the forcipules of most house centipedes are not strong enough to penetrate human skin. Stings are generally no worse than a bee's sting, with its venom causing redness and mild to severe swelling." Hopefully I never encounter one ever again! 

3 comments:

  1. i was eating. and then i read this. and i am no longer eating. goodbye, dinner. ick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered one of these in my closet on my shoe! I googled spider/centipede because that's what I thought it was... and found this post. I'm terrified there are more in my closet! I'm too afraid to look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s truly scary to see pest/insects inside the house, especially the ones that are harmful to humans. There are venomous spiders that can hurt us, or worse, kill us. Make sure to have your house checked up for pest infestation at least once or twice a year.
    Jeffrey Goude @ BugManiacs

    ReplyDelete